Services‎ > ‎

Family Sponsorship

Apart from sponsoring spouses (wives or husbands), common-law partners or conjugal partners as described here Canadian citizens, Permanent residents of Canada and Persons registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act may be able to sponsor

1) Their own children,

2) Adopted children (adopted outside Canada or child who will be adopted in Canada)

3) Parents or grandparents

4) Orphaned close relatives ( they must be:
  • orphaned
  • under 18
  • without a:
-conjugal partner
-common-law partner
  • related to you by blood or adoption, such as:
-brothers or sisters
-nephews or nieces

5) Other relative
They may sponsor one relative, related by blood or adoption, of any age if they meet all of the conditions, including:
  • they don't have a living relative you could sponsor instead, such as a:
-common-law partner
-conjugal partner
-son or daughter
-brother or sister
-uncle or aunt
-nephew or niece
  • they don’t have any of the above-named relatives who is:
-a Canadian citizen
-a permanent resident
-registered Indian under the Indian Act

Some of your relatives may be eligible to immigrate to Canada as permanent residents.

If you have relatives who want to immigrate to Canada under the Family Class:
  • you must sponsor them
  • you and your relatives must meet certain requirements
Your relatives need to have:
  • medical exams
  • criminal checks
  • background checks
CIC may not allow them to enter Canada if they have a criminal record or are a risk to Canada’s security. They may have to get a police certificate from police in their home country.

The application kit explains medical, criminal and background checks.

Your responsibilities:

When you sponsor a relative to become a permanent resident of Canada, you must:
  • meet set income guidelines
  • agree in writing to give financial support to your relative and any other eligible relatives coming with them:
-beginning on the date they become a permanent resident
-for up to 20 years (depending on their age and how you’re related)

The person you sponsor must sign an agreement saying they will make the effort to support themselves. This includes sponsored dependent children 18 or older. Dependent children under 19 don’t have to sign this agreement.

If you want to sponsor your parents and grandparents, you must tell CIC you want to apply by submitting your interest online. Make sure you are eligible as a sponsor before you submit the form.

For example this year the interest to sponsor form is available as of noon EST on January 2,
2018, and will close at noon EST on February 1, 2018.


We can help you prepare all application forms and instruct you what supporting documents to send to CIC to make a strong sponsorship application.

If CIC requests in-person interview of the sponsor or the sponsored person we can prepare you for that interview by providing you with information what is it exactly that they are looking for and what type of questions they might ask you.

We can also represent you in your dealings with CIC officers who will be working on your application.


Service fee for Family sponsorship applications is $1900 (tax included).